Allison Henderson (Convention Artist) | Badgerlord Studios | Kori Michele | Stacey Kardash | Odin's Bead Hall | Magen Works | Akili Amethyst | Lizspit | Kitsune Creations | Danielle Sylvan Illustration | OurDestiny Designs | Noadi's Art | Sad Zombie Slaves | DS & Matt | Poiizu | Jay Shay Studio
(The seating arrangement above is tentative and subject to change)
Artists’ Alley 2013 Information
The PortConMaine Artists’ Alley is a space for artists to get together, meet new people, and offer their work for sale to PortConMaine attendees. Artists may participate by purchasing table space, or by bringing their art to the Community Art Sale, a consignment-style table run by the art staff.
2013 Artists’ Alley Pricing:
Half Table - $60
Full Table - $80
Both options include ONE (1) Thursday - Sunday convention pass.
Additional passes may be purchased.
Who can Apply?
Tables in the Artists’ Alley are open to non-staffing attendees who will be 18 years of age or older at the time of the convention.
The Application Form is open for Last-Minute Tables. Interested parties must fill out the form below, even if they already submitted their application in February. Submit your application by Thursday, May 16th to be considered for this wave of tables.
PCM 2013 Artists' Alley Application Form - Click Here
Emails will be sent to recipients of Last-Minute Tables on Saturday, May 18th.
To apply, you must provide a Web link that includes images of your artwork. Examples include a personal portfolio website, a DeviantArt page, or a PhotoBucket page. Applicants will also be asked to provide a brief Statement of Intent. It’s not as scary as it sounds! The committee just wants to know who you are, what you do, and why you want to come to PortCon.
Applicants will be reviewed by a committee made up of PortConMaine staff members. Art staff does not participate in the jurying process. Based on the committee’s recommendations, the roster for this year’s Alley will be determined and posted on this page.
The Alley Roster will be posted on this page no later than Sunday, February 24th.
Additional Information: Read the Information Below Before Applying
AGE: Alley applicants must be at least 18 years old by the time of the convention.
SAMPLES: In your application, please provide a selection samples that represent the kind of work you would bring to the Alley, both in subject matter and media.
TABLES: We offer full tables and half tables. Artists or studios can choose one. Due to limited space, you may not exceed one full table spot.
NO-SHOW POLICY: Any tables not claimed by 1PM on Friday will be considered no-shows. No-show tables will be offered for sale to other convention attendees.
REPRESENTATION: Artwork submitted for review or brought to the convention must be original, and produced by the artist representing it. If an artist cannot be present to represent their work, they may appoint somebody else to do so and give written consent.
ADULT MATERIALS: As PortCon is a family-friendly convention, we ask that any explicit materials be kept out of general view. Artists must check IDs when people request to see work of this nature.
CONVENTION RULES: Artists are subject to the convention’s rules for attendees, and must follow them.
DRUG AND ALCOHOL POLICY: Drugs and alcohol are not allowed in the Artists’ Alley. Any artist caught partaking in their use will be asked to leave the Convention.
FOOD: Food and non-alcoholic beverages are allowed in the Alley, but be considerate of your neighbors and the hotel staff and clean up after yourself.
ELECTRICITY: We cannot guarantee access to an electrical outlet.
MUSIC: If you would like to have music playing at your table, be mindful of your neighbors and keep the volume reasonable. You may be asked to turn the music down, or turn it off entirely.
The following items are prohibited from sale in the PortCon Artists Alley.
- Items featuring only simple text phrases (Quotes, sayings, statements) are prohibited.
- Plagiarized work. We will not tolerate literal copies of existing work. Tracings, manipulated screenshots, and pixel/bead sprites of existing official art are prohibited.
- Any products featuring artwork that was not created by the artist or group. For example: a collage made up of screen shots or magazine cutouts would not be allowed, but a collage made of all-original art work would be.
- Bootleg merchandise, including video on disc, fansubs, fandubs, music videos or other edited work using copyrighted source material.
- Any products or toys that were not made by the artist or group, including officially licensed merchandise.
Artists’ Alley Hours:
These hours are preliminary and subject to change.
Thursday: Artists Only - Setup Time 4PM to 7PM
Friday: 8AM to 10PM
Saturday: 8AM to 10PM
Sunday: 8AM to 1PM
Questions and Answers:
Q: Are customized toys allowed? (My Little Pony figures, dolls, Dunny vinyl toys, etc.)
A: Yes. Repainted, re-haired, or re-purposed customized toys are allowed.
Q: Can I choose the table I sit at?
A: Unfortunately, we can’t accommodate everybody’s location requests.
Q: Do I have to have a website to apply?
A: A website is not necessary. Examples of work can be hosted on DeviantArt, Photobucket, etc.
Q: How many people will be allowed to sit behind our table?
A: Half tables can have up to two, and full tables can have up to four. Upon checking in, special badge ribbons will be given to each group present.
As with previous years, the Artists' Alley will feature an art show where people can showcase their work for the PortConMaine community to admire and vote for. If you're interested in participating, please read the pointers below!
- The Art Show is open to both staff and attendees.
- Artwork must be flat, and cannot exceed 11" x 17" in size.
- Artwork submitted must be your own
- Reproductions of your own artwork will be accepted
- PortConMaine can't be responsible for damaged artwork
- Artwork may be dropped off at the staff table during setup on Thursday, or any time that the Alley is open on Friday and Saturday.
- Voting will happen over the course of the day on Saturday
- Winners will be announced and awards will be given on Sunday
- All artwork must be picked up by Artists' Alley closing time on Sunday. Any work left behind will be considered forfeited.
QUESTIONS? Email the Art Staff: